|Title||Watershed mapping and monitoring for northern community impact assessment - Whale Cove, Nunavut / Cartographie et suivi des bassins versants pour l'évaluation d'impact dans les communautés nordiques -
Whale Cove, Nunavut|
|Licence||Please note the adoption of the Open Government Licence - Canada
supersedes any previous licences.|
|Author||Budkewitsch, P; Prévost, C; Pavlic, G; Pregitzer, M|
|Source||Geological Survey of Canada, Open File 6848, 2013, 34 pages, https://doi.org/10.4095/293316 (Open Access)|
|Publisher||Natural Resources Canada|
|Related||This publication is related to Budkewitsch, P; Prévost, C;
Pavlic, G; Pregitzer, M; (2013). Description of the watershed outline and water depth survey datasets for Whale Cove, Nunavut, Geological Survey of Canada, Open File 6847|
|Lat/Long WENS||-92.7500 -92.5000 62.4167 62.1667|
|Subjects||hydrogeology; geophysics; Nature and Environment; groundwater; groundwater resources; groundwater surveys; groundwater regimes; groundwater levels; watersheds; surface waters; lake water; remote
sensing; satellite imagery; bathymetry|
|Illustrations||location maps; photographs; satellite images|
|Program||Climate Change Geoscience, Building Resilience to Climate Change in Canadian Communities|
|Released||2013 12 10|
|Abstract||This report highlights the Whale Cove watershed assessment activity conducted by scientists from the Canada Centre for Remote Sensing at Natural Resources Canada and staff from the Nunavut research
Institute (NRI). This activity included the use of high resolution satellite imagery, airphotos, and on-site field surveys to map the watershed boundaries and lake depths of the supply lakes for Whale Cove. |
This activity was also used as a
technology transfer exercise, whereby staff from NRI was trained to understand and use a set of tools and solutions for conducting small lake surveys and for collecting GPS locations.
This document is copyright of Natural Resources Canada and
contains copyrighted material of Digital Globe Inc, the provider of the Worldview-1tm high resolution satellite image shown in this report.
Digital computer files resulting from this project, and described in this document, are available upon
request by contacting the project leader or project members. The digital files comprise of:
- Vector file of the watershed outline (ESRI shapefile.shp).
- Raster files illustrating the water depth model of the actual and former water supply
lakes for Whale Cove (Geotiff.tif).
- Vector files illustrating the depth contours (isobaths) of the actual and former water supply lakes for Whale Cove (ESRI shapefile.shp).
- Tabular statistics featuring the water volume for the actual and
former water supply lakes for Whale Cove.
- Lake volume statistics stored as .kml file (Keyhole Markup Language) viewable on tools such as Google Earth.
- Vector file illustrating the depth contours of the actual and former water supply lake
for Whale Cove stored as an .img file compatible with Garmintm GPS map devices.
- Vector files illustrating the local roads and trails.
- A Worldview-1 digital elevation model (DEM).
- A 3D anaglyph image.